It can be extremely difficult and frustrating if you have a cat with skin allergies. The allergies may cause your feline to be more irritable, and act in a way they may not normally act since they are constantly dealing with itchy skin. However, you may be able to feed your cat certain foods to alleviate this issue. So what is the best cat food for cats with skin allergies?
Similar to humans, your cat could be allergic to certain foods they eat, or things in the environment such as dust mites, pollen, or grass. When it comes to food allergies, cats are usually most commonly allergic to chicken, fish, dairy, and eggs. You will find its most commonly proteins that cats are allergic to. Food allergies are an immune reaction to certain compounds found in protein.
One step you can take to not only make your cat’s life easier but yours as well is to feed them high-quality food that is focused on dealing with these types of issues. Let us look at the best cat food for cats with skin allergies.
TheQuintessentialGuide.com may earn a small commission when you use one of the links on this page to purchase.
1. Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d Skin/Food Sensitivities Cat Food
- This is our favorite since it is specially formulated by nutritionists and veterinarians to support your kitty’s skin and food sensitivities
- It is made up of natural ingredients that will help your cat in avoiding skin and digestive signs from food reactions
- It promotes a healthy barrier for your skin
- Contains natural fiber to aid with digestion
2. Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Cat Food
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Cat Food is a great option as well since as the title states it only includes a few, high-quality ingredients. It’s made with real turkey, so it can be a great option for cats with a sensitive stomach.
- It is specially formulated to promote healthy digestion as well as maintain healthy body weight. It doesn’t contain chicken, beef, corn, wheat, soy, dairy, and eggs making it a good option for cats with food sensitivities.
- Contains LIFESOURCE BITS, which is a blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that will help to boost your cat’s immune system and a healthy oxidative balance.
- It contains easily digestible carbohydrates, and also contains omega-3 and omega-6’s from fish oil to aid your cat’s skin.
3. Instinct Limited Ingredient Wet Cat Food
- Instinct Limited canned cat food is a great option for your cat that has skin allergies because it is grain-free and only made with one protein and one vegetable. It doesn’t include any artificial colors or preservatives like most canned cat foods.
- For cats with food allergies, their limited ingredient diet is made of simple ingredients like farm-raised rabbit, a healthy, easily digestible protein. It also excludes most ingredients known to trigger food sensitivity.
- The team behind this product based in Lincoln, Nebraska has been creating and perfecting raw ingredient recipes for over 15 years.
4. Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Cat Food, Grain-Free
- This product is grain-free and also includes only a limited number of ingredients, so you can control exactly what is going into your feline’s body.
- Made with high-quality protein, and is designed to support healthy digestion while maintaining healthy skin and coat.
- Provides complete and balanced nutrition for your cat, with no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- They complete 9 different safety tests on every batch of food that is created. This is how they are able to ensure their quality is always great.
5. Forza10 Wet Cat Food Actiwet Hypoallergenic, Canned Cat
- This New Zealand lamb based recipe is designed specifically for cats that have skin issues.
- This product is made in Iceland, and it contains none of the products known to cause digestive issues, such as corn, wheat, or soy
- It’s comes packed with natural anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting antioxidants.
- They claim you can see results and an improvement in a very short time period
6. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach High Protein Adult Dry Cat Food
- This sensitive skin & stomach food was formulated to give your cat great nutrition while supporting her itchy skin. You can get it in turkey or lamb, and it has probiotics for digestive and immune support.
- Contains omega-6 fatty acids, vitamin A and zinc to help revive your feline’s skin and promote a healthy coat
- The ingredients are simple and clean, making this product easily digestible for your cat.
7. Iams Proactive Health Sensitive Stomach Adult Cat Food
- IAMS adult sensitive digestion and skin cat food is a great option that contains a unique fiber blend including prebiotics to aid in absorption
- Out of all the reviewed products so far, IAM’s comes with the most affordable price tag. It however does seem to contain more ingredients. More ingredients can mean more things you need to ensure is not bothering your cat.
- It helps maintain strong muscles with high-quality protein, as real turkey is the main ingredient
- Its made in the USA and claims to use the world’s finest ingredients.
- Formulated for adult cats of all sizes and ages
Does my cat have allergies?
This depends on whether or not your cat displays some of the many signs and symptoms. This includes but is not limited to nasal congestion, a runny nose, coughing, or watery eyes. In essence, all the same signs you would expect a human to have if their allergies were acting up.
Can you get rid of cat allergies naturally?
This will really depend on what exactly your cat is allergic to. If it is for example a type of protein they are eating, you will need to eliminate that. If it’s something like dust, you can try to keep your place as clean as possible.
What should you look for when purchasing cat food for cats with allergies?
The goal should be to buy foods that have simple, natural ingredients. Many times you will find that it is all the additives in the cheaper brands of cat food which is causing your cat issues. Stick to high-quality, simple ingredient cat foods and you will find it be a lot better for your cat in the long run.
To read more content related to cat care products, food and tips, check out my blog.